Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Peer Critique

On the top of your draft, communicate with your reader in a  few sentences.  Let your reader know what you are struggling with most or what you would like them to give you feedback about.  Pose a question if possible.

Examples:
  • I am struggling with making my characters come to life.  They still feel flat to me.  How do they come across to you?  How can I make them more believable?  
  • I am not sure if my resolution makes sense to the reader.  How did you read my twist ending?  Does it seem appropriate for the story?
  • I can't figure out a title!  Any suggestions?

Guidelines for Critique
1.  Feel free to comment in the margins of the draft itself.  "Annotate" it, if you will.
2.  Don't get bogged down in proofreading, although you may mark glaring errors if you see them.  Limit proofreading to 5 or fewer corrections.
3.  SIDE ONE:  Analyze the fiction briefly so that the author can see if his or her story is doing what it intends to do.
4.  SIDE TWO:  Give the author CONCRETE, SPECIFIC feedback.  At least 2 positives.  At least 2 suggestions for improvement.  If you have more feedback, give it.  If possible, respond to the communication at the top of the draft.
5.  Everyone will critique at least two stories.  Some of you may do more.  Everyone should get at least two sets of feedback.  Some of you will have more.  Please get/give more feedback during work time if you so choose.