Monday, September 10, 2012

The Cycle of Socialization

Starter #4:  Complete this sentence in as many ways as you can think of:  "I am ______________." Make a list in your comp book.

"The Cycle of Socialization":  Application Activity

Homework:  "The Complexity of Identity."


Reading:
  • Read the text.
  • Annotate!!  Underline or highlight main ideas.  Mark lines that stand out to you.  In the margins, agree or disagree with the text.  If you’re not sure what the author is trying to say, mark it with a “?”.
  • Write at least two questions at the end of the reading (NOT questions about what words mean!)

Questions:
1.      Does your “I am” exercise match the conclusions reached by Tatum in her article?  Describe how it does or does not, and give an explanation for why.  (hint: look at pages 20 and 21)
2.      In what ways are you dominant?  In what ways are you subordinate?  (hint: look at page 22, first paragraph) 
    1. Example: I am dominant because I am white and heterosexual, but I am subordinate because I am a woman.
3.      How have you experienced your dominance in your life?  Your subordinance?
    1. Example:  I have experienced my dominance because as a white person, I am never followed in stores or pulled over because of my race.  I generally feel like I “fit in” when I go places.
    2. Example:  I have experienced subordinance because as a woman I am sometimes afraid to walk alone at night, and I fear male violence.  Also, people expect me to be skinny.